The time has come to start thinking about our new season wardrobes, hopefully we’ll squeeze a little bit more sunshine out of the summer, but we’re into September now and there’s no avoiding the fact that winter is on its way.
It’s not all bad, the weather might be threatening to turn on us but the good thing about this time of year is putting together your imaginary wish list wardrobe for the new season. Summer is brilliant and full of fun but it’s no winter in fashion terms; winter means business, it’s all statement winter coats and sumptuous materials and stunning sophisticated colour palates.
We’ve done a little research to make it easier on you to decide which trends are worth following this season and how to work each trend into your wardrobe.
So enjoy our run down of our top five autumn, winter trends. Which ones will you be wearing?
ChecksSquares, checks and tartans are the definitive print for this season; wear yours in a contemporary array of interesting colours from classic red and black check to colourful school uniform style kilts.
1. Vivienne Westwood Multicolour Tartan Skirt - £225 – This amazing tartan skirt from Vivienne Westwood is a perfect winter investment piece, wear it with a lightweight silk shirt and as it gets colder add a pair of tights and luxurious knit.
2. Boohoo Daisy Crop Tartan Jacket - £39 – For a contemporary twist on tartans why not try out a crop top, wear this cool Boohoo top with a high waisted checked skirt for a strong print clash look.
3. Topman Red Tartan Scarf - £14 – The easiest way to add a touch of tartan into any outfit is with a scarf, drape this classic red check round the collar of your favourite leather jacket for an instant new season style update.
4. Stella McCartney Tartan Intarsia Jumper - £825 – This amazing mohair jumper from Stella McCartney is one of the most coveted items of the season, wear your under an oversized coat and a pair of slim leg leather trousers to finish.
This season it’s all been about feminine silhouettes, with big billowing skirts and full lengths for a truly womanly approach to dressing.
1. Christopher Kane camouflage woven skirt - £520 – Longline skirts may be enjoying their time in the limelight but minis are still a firm favourite, especially beautifully embroidered prints such as this Christopher Kane one.
2. Coast Meslita Skirt - £125 – Work this year’s biggest trend with a long skirt and channel a vintage aesthetic into your wardrobe. Team with a statement blouse to finish.
3. Whistles Wrap Leather Pencil Skirt - £275 – The asymmetric shapes that have been so popular this summer will remain sought after into the winter months opt for a more seasonal material such as leather to help your wardrobe transition seamlessly.
From deep berry hues to the palest candy shades, designers have been playing around with pink this season, try out something different this winter and try incorporating feminine pastels into your repertoire.
1. Studio Nicholson Zeta Pop Pink Wool Track Pants – £225 – Don’t be afraid of wearing pink, it doesn’t always have to be girly, these cool track pants will add the perfect pop of colour into an otherwise darker colour palate.
2. Topshop Diamond Grid High neck top - £24 – This high neck top is the perfect option to help transition from the office to a night out, team with a leather jacket and heels for the evening.
3. Sparkle & Fade Overcoat - £125 – A statement overcoat is always the biggest investment for autumn, winter so make sure you make the right decision when choosing which one you want. This coat from Sparkle & Fade is the perfect shade of pink to embrace the trend without looking too over the top.
Walk on the Wild Side
This season when it comes to animal print think along the lines of the more exotic pieces and a more sophisticated approach to the trend than we’ve seen in previous seasons.
1. Alexander Wang Embossed Crocodile Print skirt - £515 – This amazing Alexander Wang skirt is the perfect option for any occasion, although a little pricey you can pick up brilliant leather skirts on the high street at a fraction of the price.
2. H&M Ballet Pumps - £15 – Wear the trend from head to toe with these cool leopard print pumps, a good all-round shoe.
3. Topshop Cow Print Shirt - £38 – We’re loving the stranger prints that have come out of this season, this cool Topshop cow print shirt comes with matching trousers, wear them together for an ensemble that really packs a punch.
This season it pays to play around with different textures; from leather and suede to sumptuous furs; wear them together for a really directional winter look.
1. Mango Leather Slim-fit trousers - £100 – A pair of leather trousers will rarely go out of fashion so invest in a really decent pair, opt for a strait leg style rather than skinny for a more grown-up take on the style.
2. Proenza Schouler PS1 Pouch suede in Royal Blue - £855 – The PS1 bags are iconic, this royal blue suede new season bag is the perfect investment item for the new season, the bold colour is very on trend but won’t go out of style.
3. Kenzo oversized faux fur coat - £540 – Kenzo is one of our favourite designers of the season and this faux fur coat is one of the reasons why, with a brilliant fun approach to style it’s the perfect combination of fashion forward and tongue in cheek.